Embedded Linux Engineer
Seoul (Remote) • Full time
- KOREAN: NOT REQUIRED
The role of a Embedded Linux Engineer at Canonical
Our flagship product in IoT, Ubuntu Core, is unique. It is Linux reinvented for optimal reliability, security and footprint. Our customers come from a wide variety of industries - Automotive, Customer Electronics, Medical Devices, Industrial Systems, Robotics, Gateways, and so many more - but they all have this in common: they strive to meet stringent quality and security requirements.
To cope with our rapid expansion, we are looking to expand our team of Field Engineers in the Devices division. This critical position is a tremendous career builder for the right candidate, as you would be required to learn quickly new technologies and help our customers devise solutions at the bleeding edge of many industries.
Our Field Engineers do what is right for the client. They are accomplished technologists that take a hands-on approach to field engineering leadership. They have a passion to help customers achieve ambitious technical and business goals, and to show how the Canonical approach to open source and connected devices brings best-of-breed thinking to the emerging field of edge compute. They also care to develop their colleagues, helping them deepen their understanding of the technology, their ability to manage time, and their awareness of customer business thinking for continuous improvement and personal development.
This career opportunity requires a unique blend of skills. Successful candidates will know Linux well and be proficient coders and scripters. They will have experience of low-level Linux boot, BIOS, firmware and embedded software development methodologies. They also enjoy the pace of change and diversity of client engagements with driven and ambitious technology entrepreneurs. Competitive, business-focused technologists at heart, they are also dedicated team players that take pride in team and company wins.
Location: This position is remote and open to candidates located in South Korea.
What your day will look like
- Engage customers during presales to gather requirements and explain our technology
- Elaborate solutions to be proposed to prospective clients
- Participate to the delivery of select projects related to Embedded Linux
- Convey market requirements to key stakeholders in our organization, and sometimes participate to the development or refining of generic solutions to unlock market potential
- Be both a customer advocate and a trusted advisor to Canonical
What we are looking for in you
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Extensive Linux experience - Debian or Ubuntu preferred
- Solid embedded Linux experience - Yocto or RTOS
- Fluency in at least one of Golang, Python, C, C++, or Rust
- Professional written and spoken English in addition to the local language
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Result-oriented, ability to multi-task
- A personal drive to meet commitments
- An humble learner and quick study
- Albeit many projects can be done remotely, the successful candidate will be willing to travel up to 30% of the time for customer meetings, company events, and conferences
- At this point in time, the successful candidate will be located in South Korea and will speak the local language at a professional level
- Additional skills that you might also bring
- Experience with customer engagements a plus
What we offer you
Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills. In addition to the benefits below, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, you can ask in the later stages of the recruitment process.
- Fully remote working environment - we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at ‘sprints’
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm that is at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis. We recruit on a global basis and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence - in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do. Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Work at Canonical is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business. Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.